Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The story of Gallant Centurion Spy

I've seen these eyes before...but, I'm getting ahead of myself.

My mother is Proserpina. I know this because it was the last word by Gaius Marius's Optio before I twisted my blade. But, that was almost two thousand years ago. I know not my father.

How ironic was that twist of the blade, this twist telling the optio's master that I will no longer kill for him. No more men will suffer my sword. No more women will endure my spear. No more children, my boot.

I run. I am a man without past or country, now. I am a man no longer under the protection of Gaius Marius.

Gaius Marius...a name that haunts me to this day. When you grow up as a member of Roman's ruling class you learn to respect its Generals. Or in my case, fear them. I often wondered why the other children of the house lessoned in mos maiorum, while I learned hundreds of ways to kill a person with my bare hands. A skill I'm sure they regret ever teaching me.

But who are they? The Empire falls and historians erroneously fail to credit me. But these men who are worshipped for "modern" civilization were mostly depraved and barbaric. I know their evil. I was their evil. I destroyed their evil.

I've seen these eyes before...the evil is back. 



No comments: